Sunday, July 28, 2013

DIY Tissue Box Cover


DIY Tissue Box Cover (no sew!)



My aunt helped me make a tissue box cover using a template and I just fell in love. Well, after at least 10 different stores, I gave up on finding another one of those templates… But then it hit me, I have tons of leftover foam board from many other projects that I got from the Dollar Store and I could make my own template! And I could do it for really cheap, which I love.



Supplies needed:

·         1 Piece of foam board (stuff from the Dollar Tree works great)

·         Ruler

·         Hot glue gun

·         Extra glue sticks

·         Razor

·         Piece of fabric (22” X 10”)



Measure and cut 4 pieces of foam board that measure: 5 inches by 5 inches
(You should probably be smarter than me and not cut on your nice rug)



 

Then measure and cut another piece that is 4 and 13/16 inches by 4 and 13/16 inches
 (this will be your top)
 
 
Cut a shape out of your top piece that will look good with your tissue box. I chose a plain circle because it was easy. This clearly doesn't need to be perfect or in the perfect center. The fabric will cover any major mistakes.
 
 
Time to start hot gluing. Make sure to keep things square while you do this. If one edge of the side piece is on the outside make sure the other is on the inside to make the top a square.
 
 
Stop when you get three sides together and hot glue the top in, making sure it's level with the side pieces.
 
 
 
Finish it off with the final side, hot gluing it in.
 
 
 
Now it's time to glue the fabric on. Starting on one edge, hot glue the short end of the fabric to the box, making sure it is straight, and keeping about 1 cm extra on the bottom to wrap around to hide the edge of fabric. Continue wrapping the fabric around, putting a line of glue on the rest of the edges, stretching the fabric around nicely.
 
 
 
Finish it off with a clean glued hem.
 
 
 
Glue the extra 1 cm of fabric under and around to the inside the box so the edge looks nice and clean.
 
 
 
Tuck the fabric into the top hole- whatever you think looks nice- and glue it to the inside of the box. I chose to glue 2 opposite sides flatly down and glue the other 2 side to make them look gathered. Glue it all down on the inside of the box and Tada, you are done! Super Easy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: